10 October 2005

So it begins....




Over 3 three years ago, I registered with a reproductive medicine clinic in my area to be an egg donor....And today I finally start the medications. I decided to post a diary online of what my experiences are with the medications, their side effects & whatnot..

Allow me a brief back story (to explain why I'm here in the first place).....

I'd considered egg donation in college, primarily for the financial gains, but had not had a child at that point so most places didn't want my eggs.
Five years ago, I gave birth to my one & only child (more on that some other time). Pregnancy was the worst experience of my life, hands down. There isn't enough money on earth to make me want to do that again. There's no sense in all those little eggs going to waste & I'm not going to use them anymore, so why not help out someone who can't have what I have....A child of their own.

Now, granted technically the child will share 1/2 my DNA, but to me, that's all it is, genetic material. I'd be lying if I didn't admit that getting paid of my eggs is not a motivating factor, but it's really not as big a factor, in my case, as one might think.

Granted, I am broke as a joke....Paycheck to paltry paycheck, but money's just that. It doesn't give me the good feeling like knowing I'm truly helping someone have a baby . Altho, at least the money will help me stop screening my calls from bills collectors and pawing things for gas & grocery money.

There are risks involved with the medications (like confusing my body into menopause for a little over a month), the retrieval (surgery) and there's always that chance that I'll be the one that has the horrible, life shattering reaction to the drugs.

Then again, I could get hit by a bus tomorrow, too.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home